Dog cleared of being banned kills man protecting his pet

Jazzy

Forum Admin
"A 52-year-old man has died in Huddersfield after being attacked by a dog which had been returned to its owner despite concerns it was dangerous, West Yorkshire Police said.

He was bitten in Riddings Road, Sheepridge, yesterday morning but later pronounced dead.

The dog was seized by police in June because it was thought to be a banned pit bull breed but then returned to the owner – a 29-year-old man who was arrested and bailed.

Detective Chief Inspector Mark Swift said: ‘We believe that the victim was out with his own dog at the time of the attack near to his home address.

‘His dog, a Yorkshire Terrier, was also injured during the incident and received emergency veterinary care.’

A spokesman said that in June this year a dog warden visited the address where the suspect animal was being kept following concerns from members of the public.

A referral was then made to police amid fears the dog may be a dangerous breed, he said.

The spokesman said: ‘As a result, the same dog was seized by police and, following a screening, it was determined the animal was not a banned breed under the Dangerous Dogs Act. The dog was returned to its owner on August 8.’"

Source

Thoughts?

APS

Unarmed
They may be right about it not being a banned breed but I think it has demonstrated it is a dangerous dog and should be put down.

otis booard

"Levotur5" by Ondraid Kots
At the time I would have returned the dog too, however with hindsight APS is right.

Jazzy

Forum Admin
No such thing as a bad breed just bad owners. This dog will now have to pay for the bad owner by having to be put down.

APS

Unarmed
No such thing as a bad breed just bad owners. This dog will now have to pay for the bad owner by having to be put down.
Trouble is they are cross bred dogs not pure breeds.
They were cross bred especially for fighting.

DrLeftover

"I'm different. Let this not upset you" Paracelsus
I used to believe there were 'no bad breeds'.

But now I've seen several different occasions where Pit Bulls, and Pit Bull Crosses have suddenly turned vicious after having NEVER been abused or trained to fight.

In one case, the dog had been raised from a puppy in a loving home, had plenty of food, was never teased, etc, and one day, without warning, SHE attacked everybody and everything and ended up being killed by animal control and the sheriff because the dog wouldn't let anybody in the house.

And no, she wasn't pregnant and 'nesting', she just snapped.

In one of the other cases, the dog was from a shelter, and may have been abused at some point, but it had been in a stable environment for several years, then it became very territorial and bit several people without other provocation.

It seems to be that that many generations of being bred and trained for the fighting ring worked, and now, that instinct is too deep to overcome.

Top Bottom