Does Anyone Read Tolkien?

PGen98

Out of curiosity, do any of the bookworms here read Tokiens works? I'm a very big Tolkien fan, I find his world building to be absolutely incredible, and the way in which you come to feel for the characters he creates is fantastic. I know he is most well known for The Hobbit, the Lord of the Rings and The Silmarillion books; however, I absolutely adore his tragedies, such as The Lay of Aotrou and Itroun and The Story of Kullervo, both fantastic tragedies with strong characters.

Anyone else read Tolkien? :)

SwishUK

I am also a huge Tolkien fan but for the LOTR universe. I have seen the films and I loved them. Thought The Hobbit was awful. I do want to read the books though as books are always better than the films.

Kaunisto

I've just taken it as project to read Silmarillion this year and it's not going well. Along years I've twice tried to read it and at some point dropped it - and I almost never do that, I read the whole bloody Harry Potter series! (To be fair, they do generally keep getting better.)

I read LOTR once (in English) back when the movies were made. Bit of tactical mistake to read each book before movie, because Boromir... end of first film, but beginning of second book.
I did love the books (just last year bought a set in order to one day read them again), aside the world building, the language is so poetic and... not sure how to phrase it, intelligent?

At some time since I've also read Hobbit.
The Story of Kullervo
Say what!? I didn't know Tolkien wrote such or at least I've completely forgotten if I've ever heard of that.
I know he studied Finnish national epic Kalevala which has the Kullervo tale (gathered from Finnish oral mythology), but this is news to me.
I remember seeing in my hometown museum (back in school trip) the arguably most famous painting of Kullervo,"The Curse of Kullervo" by Akseli Gallen-Kallela. I'm not sure if the painting was borrowed from national museum for an exhibition (quite possible) or did they have another version by the artist.

PGen98

I've just taken it as project to read Silmarillion this year and it's not going well. Along years I've twice tried to read it and at some point dropped it - and I almost never do that, I read the whole bloody Harry Potter series! (To be fair, they do generally keep getting better.)

I read LOTR once (in English) back when the movies were made. Bit of tactical mistake to read each book before movie, because Boromir... end of first film, but beginning of second book.
I did love the books (just last year bought a set in order to one day read them again), aside the world building, the language is so poetic and... not sure how to phrase it, intelligent?

At some time since I've also read Hobbit.

Say what!? I didn't know Tolkien wrote such or at least I've completely forgotten if I've ever heard of that.
I know he studied Finnish national epic Kalevala which has the Kullervo tale (gathered from Finnish oral mythology), but this is news to me.
I remember seeing in my hometown museum (back in school trip) the arguably most famous painting of Kullervo,"The Curse of Kullervo" by Akseli Gallen-Kallela. I'm not sure if the painting was borrowed from national museum for an exhibition (quite possible) or did they have another version by the artist.
The Silmarillion is a very hard book to read, so it's understandable that you'd struggle, I know I did the first time through!

The Story of Kullervo is entirely inspired by Kalevala, and it's a really good read! https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Story_of_Kullervo

Top Bottom