Do you think campus "safe spaces" are a good idea?

DrLeftover

"I'm different. Let this not upset you" Paracelsus
Given that universities and colleges no longer encourage the free exchange and challenges of ideas and instead, have taken to the coddling and very nearly the swaddling of over sensitive youngsters who have been hand held and spoon fed since they left the 'birthing center'....

sure, why not.

Somebody's feelings may be upset if they don't have someplace to go have a good cry now and then.

Jazzy

Forum Admin
No, because the part of point of being at college or uni is to be involved with various types of people, ideas and cultures. If an idea or an action offends a student then by all means open a dialogue about it, deal with it as an adult you are supposed to be.

By creating 'safe spaces' students are essentially cutting themselves off from other students and are creating a bubble to live in, which is unhealthy in the long run. College or uni is a place to practice becoming an adult (with support) and 'safe spaces' don't exist in the real world so why should they exist on campus? All its doing is infantilising students who will find it hard to cope once they graduate.

Webster

I'm of two very different minds here....on the one hand, both Jazzy & Doc make compelling arguments agst. the very idea of safe spaces; after all, there are no safe spaces in the outside world and a lot of these students are going to be in for a rude awakening when they leave.

OTOH, there should be places where one can fully express themselves without having to worry about what the broader world thinks...which is ironically the very definition of a safe space. To quote the Wiki:
a safe-space is "A place where anyone can relax and be fully self-expressed, without fear of being made to feel uncomfortable, unwelcome or challenged on account of biological sex,race/ethnicity, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, cultural background, age, or physical or mental ability; a place where the rules guard each person's self-respect, dignity and feelings and strongly encourage everyone to respect others.
I"d also remind safe-space critics that this is not the 1950's or 1960's; the world is a vastly different place and the sooner we adapt to that changed world, the better.

Bluezone777

No such place exists in this world nor has their ever been one save for one in which you are never disagreed with but such a place would be a futile place to be for what purpose would expressing yourself have if there was no chance you would ever be disagreed with? You want to express yourself then you are going to take on risk each and every time you do. I don't care what you are expressing as everything you can express is capable of offending someone who may or may not do harm to you for having expressed it whether that harm be to you directly or indirectly by way of other people or your things.

Top Bottom