Computer shuts down periodically... any ideas?

Angel

No Drama Zone!
My computer will periodically show the attached message and shut down. It reboots itself and all is good for a couple weeks more or less. It doesn't always give that same fail code.

I went to the site it says to go to and tried to understand what the heck I am supposed to do for this, but I just don't understand it.

Do you have any simple ideas of what could be going on?

Thanks for any help.

Attachments

• shut down.jpg
    shut down.jpg
    66.3 KB · Views: 14

Beaky

blah
could be a driver issues try updating them and see how it goes

Angel

No Drama Zone!
Anyone else have any ideas? I tried updates and also going to the site they gave me. I followed all directions, but when I get to the end of it... nothing happens.

I am getting these shut downs about once a day now...sometimes more.

DrLeftover

"I'm different. Let this not upset you" Paracelsus
Other than force a windows update from the control panel.

No.

Lämmchen

In the image you posted it says there was a Ndu.sys error and here is what one site says:

• The Ndu.sys error usually occurs when there is a hardware or driver incompatibility.
  • If the error driver irql not less or equal (Ndu.sys) appear randomly after a few minutes, check for driver updates.
  • Renaming the folder is the simplest solution to get rid of the Ndu.sys blue screen error.
  • Ndu.sys is related to your Wi-Fi adapter driver, so make sure to check for network issues.

Angel

No Drama Zone!
Renaming the folder is the simplest solution to get rid of the Ndu.sys blue screen error.
On this part it wants me to change the name of the Ndu.sys to Ndu.sys11 or something that I will remember. Problem is, it says I don't have admin rights but I do. I am the admin. I am the only one on this computer so signed in as admin. So it kinda lost me there.
Thanks for your help @

Lämmchen

Lämmchen

On this part it wants me to change the name of the Ndu.sys to Ndu.sys11 or something that I will remember. Problem is, it says I don't have admin rights but I do. I am the admin. I am the only one on this computer so signed in as admin. So it kinda lost me there.
Thanks for your help @

Lämmchen

As Admin you'll need to give yourself Admin Permissions to do some things. Isn't that fun? Windows is weird at times.

DrLeftover

"I'm different. Let this not upset you" Paracelsus
It can also be an overheating issue.

Check the vents on the sides and bottom to see if they're full of dust.

Angel

No Drama Zone!
Thanks @Jazzy but I already did that. This whole thing was a nightmare to fix. My whole computer ended up completely crashing and I had to restore it to a previous time. But at least I was able to save it and not lose anything on it. It's still not fixed with the problem... but if it bothers me to much, then I will take it in to the computer store.

Lämmchen

Thanks @Jazzy but I already did that. This whole thing was a nightmare to fix. My whole computer ended up completely crashing and I had to restore it to a previous time. But at least I was able to save it and not lose anything on it. It's still not fixed with the problem... but if it bothers me to much, then I will take it in to the computer store.

Have you made a back up lately to the cloud or to an external hard drive? I hadn't done one in a year and finally forced myself to do it because you just never know!

Angel

No Drama Zone!
Have you made a back up lately to the cloud or to an external hard drive? I hadn't done one in a year and finally forced myself to do it because you just never know!
Yes... I have an external drive that I saved everything to. Thanks!

Angel

No Drama Zone!
@Jazzy and @Lämmchen ... The one thing I learned while trying to fix my computer is... You may be administrator of your computer and have some permissions, but that does not mean you have all administrator permissions on it. That's why I had so much trouble figuring this out.

When I checked, I guess in windows the name on my computer for all permissions name is something like "entrusted" something like that... I don't remember the exact name. That name has full control (full permissions) ... I don't. But I can change that to my name then give me full control. It's the full control part that I didn't have and still don't because when doing that it crashed my computer so I had to restore it. (n)

I followed exactly what the links in above posts told me to do.... and it accepted my name as admin, but gave errors and it wouldn't let me change it back to "entrusted". At some point my computer booted up and come back to a blue screen with info to repair, restore etc. It would only let me restore.

So be aware if you ever try changing those permissions over to yourself. :Confused2:

Olmeca

This sounds pretty similar to something I was experiencing a long time ago and sadly never could resolve. Ending up losing everything from that computer. Hopefully this won't happen to you.

Tanya

@Angel (sorry, I know this is slightly old now) but I've ran into admin troubles a lot of times. Win10 is trouble in so many ways but mostly this one is the one that stays unresolved. Honestly, depending on how you are logged into your windows matters more than the admin rights. Changing those often times gets locked into the programming. (a windows error they never fixed that doesn't read as an error so no one ever sees it) If you are using a windows login and not a pc login often helps the problem with issues relating to windows and most other programs as well. (tho that tends to also create logged errors - no winning here) Also, windows will try and help you with some of the minor issues, especially ones related to antivirus though they want you to use theirs. (free help most of the time) They can also help you with admin rights and how to do it without causing more errors. Each situation is a different solution sadly.

As to your issue of shutting down and restarting, something either you did or windows did is locked and won't finish. (usually the case but not always of course-- a lot of the time it is a corrupt file and as long as it isn't several of them, it does clear itself out after a time - its just annoying) Driver issues can be a pain. Manually updating drivers through manufactures works best on a pc that likes to give you a headache. lol. Most of the time, windows gives it a generic update on its own but you do tend to have to update with a manual update rather than waiting on windows auto. A lot of programs like antivirus needs its original and not generic, same goes for HP/Dell etc but with those comes bloatware so be careful. Check before and after updating so you can see what was added so you can remove it.

If you're still having issues and can't figure it out, you have several options, 1) a new install (not recommended until you make sure its not a hardware issue causing the software issues) 2) paying a tech to find and fix the issue (I hate paying for things but that is just me. haha. Also keep in mind that when a tech fixes something, he/she has their own logging system that is tied into the pc so if an issue you have is related to something they did.. you won't be able to correct it yourself - never use a tech that doesn't guarantee their work - a lesson I learned the hard way. They always guarantee their hardware but seldom on the software part of it which includes driver related stuff - that includes software techs, just saying.) 3) contact windows support and see if they can help you or even fix the problem for you (I've done this a lot. finding the right person was the hard part) On a side note.. if its anything else unrelated to partly related to things mentioned... I suggest a paid tech or tech savvy friend.

and you won't lose anything important if you keep a backup. (I use google for passwords and an external for all the rest which includes saved data within the programs I use. I run an antivirus and Malwarebytes before and after I add it to the external(before adding the data back onto the pc).

Angel

No Drama Zone!
Thank you @Tanya ... I will look into the things you said. So far since I have to do a restore it's only happened 3 times, where before the restore it was every day and sometimes 2 or 3 times a day.

Top Bottom