• If your user name appeared to be a real first and last name (fictitious or not), your user name has been changed to just your first name. As of May 1, 2018 no full real names are allowed as user names.

College Education

Jazzy

Forum Admin
college-education2.jpg
People who argue that college is worth it contend that college graduates have higher employment rates, bigger salaries, and more work benefits than high school graduates. They say college graduates also have better interpersonal skills, live longer, have healthier children, and have proven their ability to achieve a major milestone.

People who argue that college is not worth it contend that the debt from college loans is too high and delays graduates from saving for retirement, buying a house, or getting married. They say many successful people never graduated from college and that many jobs, especially trades jobs, do not require college degrees.

Debate Question: Is a College Education Worth It?

Z
It all depends on what field you're going into. I feel business and art majors are overrated and only cause you greater debt than they are worth, but I am not opposed to people obtaining a degree in such a field. I am an ISE engineering major, which requires a degree. You cannot find a job without a degree in the engineering field as an engineer. Therefore, once I get my degree and get a high paying job it'll definitely be worth it! Have a buddy who is making bank right now doing exactly what I plan on doing. If you ask him, he'll tell you it's worth it for sure :)

Dee

It's worth it if that's what you want. Too often we tell kids transitioning out of high school that higher education is indeed the path they need to go down. And sure, that advice may ring true in many cases, but not always. Perhaps not a higher education in the form of a certain degree you need to obtain by means of attending college. Let's say they go into a trade instead and follow that path. I just wish we didn't push this idea so hard because it's definitely not the right path for everyone. We should be teaching kids that there are many viable options other than college.

Evil Eye

Well-Known Stalker
Here it is.
State pays most of it (unless you're a foreigner) reducing the annual fee to roughly €2k. Not to mention students can get some very favourable loans; as in, interest might be lower than inflation depending on what recession you're in :p

D

Daniel

It is worth it if you don't mind going into a bit of debt and then possibly struggle to find a job in the field you went to school for. However I do believe that it is something necessary for some and something not so much for others. I believe it all comes down to the way you decide to live your life. You have lots of roads you can go down plenty of paths. None of them more right than the others....for the most part.

DrLeftover

"Today: Alchemy. Tomorrow: the World!"
Think about this:

"Your education is the only thing you can 'get' that the Government cannot take away from you."
-Doc L

D

Daniel

Potentially they could say you never got the education @DrLeftover but you are right they can never truly take away your knowledge...at least until they get ahold of the tech that allows them to do that too.

DrLeftover

And then you have this:

(quoted)
Columbia University to host no-whites-allowed student leadership retreat
4 Oct 2016

Students of color at Columbia University can apply to attend an upcoming racially segregated retreat hosted by the school that promises to embolden and empower participants, according to organizers.

The “Students of Color Leadership Retreat 2016” is open to students within the Columbia University undergraduate community, including its all-women’s Barnard College.

Slated for the weekend of Nov. 12 at Greenkill Retreat Center at the New York YMCA Camp, the event is billed as “an intensive weekend of personal development, empowerment and community building for student leaders at Barnard and Columbia who identify as African/African-American/Black, Latino/Hispanic, Asian/Asian-American, Pacific Islander, Arab and Middle-Eastern, Native & Indigenous, and Multiethnic/Multiracial,” according to the university’s website as well as the retreat’s online application form.

“SOCLR is designed for students who identify themselves as a person of color as a primary identity,” Columbia’s website adds.

The application asks students to state their gender identity/expression, their gender pronoun, their racial identity, and also answer a few questions on what they plan to gain from attending the retreat, paid for by the private, Ivy League institution. Lodging, food and transportation are provided, the application notes.
(end quote)
More
http://www.thecollegefix.com/post/29310/

Worldwide

Education alone doesn't guarantee success, no matter what degree you have. Without ambition and hard work it could amount to nothing other than some job that you could have got without a degree.

It is worth it if you know what you are going to do with it and it helps you get there, but on its own it is not enough.

DrLeftover

Something I just thought about....

Everybody that sees something like the "8th grade final exam from 1895" comments how hard it is, and that they didn't learn that stuff in High School or College. And they're right. They didn't.

https://newrepublic.com/article/79470/1895-8th-grade-final-exam-i-couldnt-pass-it-could-you

The US educational system used to be just that. The School Administration knew that most people would be lucky to be able to stay in school until the Eighth Grade, so they packed as much general education and knowledge into the lower grades as they could.

Now, it's a babysitting service. Any education happens almost as much by accident as it does intent.

How else can you explain High School Graduates who cannot read and write at more than a subsistence level, and cannot do basic math?

Evil Eye

Well-Known Stalker
I dunno, that exam looks fairly trivial. If you actually go to class when that stuff's taught, anyway.
Most of it just seems to be memorisation.

DrLeftover

Most of it just seems to be memorization.

... yes. That. And reasoning.

You had to be able to know what is being asked for and how to phrase the answer correctly.

Back then, you didn't answer with a single word. Your answer had to be in a complete sentence.

DrLeftover

And then again....

(quoted)
Come November, the University of Vermont will host a three-day “Examining White Identity Retreat” for students who self-identify as white.

The retreat aims to educate students about white privilege, start a dialogue to combat racism at the university, and “conceptualize and articulate whiteness from a personal and systemic lens,” according to the university’s website. The University of Oregon is planning similar retreats for January 2017, one for white students and one for white faculty members.
(end quote)
http://www.thedailybeast.com/articl...-retreat-the-rise-in-student-segregation.html

Top Bottom