Cineworld refused to give single mum meal deal because she ‘wasn’t a family’

Jazzy

Forum Admin
"A single mother has claimed that she didn’t qualify for a family meal deal because she and her two children weren’t considered a family.

Emma Wallen, 28, took Lily, six, and London-James, two, to see the BFG at Cineworld in Wandsworth, south West London, and tried to buy a £9.99 family meal.

But she was told she didn’t qualify so had to pay an extra £15 for almost the same food.

Emma said: ‘I thought at first he was joking and I asked him to repeat himself and he said the same thing.

‘He said “It’s only for two parents and two children”.

‘I said to him “so I don’t qualify because I’m a single parent with two children?” and he said “unfortunately no, you don’t qualify as a family”.

The trip cost a total of around £53 – approximately half for tickets and half for food – but had she been allowed to use the deal, it would have cost around £37.

Once at home, Miss Wallen said she phoned the branch to complain and has now submitted a written complaint, but is yet to receive a reply.

Cineworld said: ‘We are aware of the customer’s complaint and will be in touch with her directly to discuss her feedback.

‘Family Special Combo Deals are available to customers with a Family Ticket. Just like our Family Tickets, the meal deal is designed for a group of four as it includes two drinks, a sharing popcorn and two munch boxes.

‘Our Family Tickets are sold on the basis that there will be four people within the group which could be a combination of two adults and two children or one adult and three children."

Source

Do you think she qualified qualify for a family meal deal? (Why/Why Not)

APS

Unarmed
I think so long as it is perfectly clear on all the advertising etc as to what qualifies then they are within their rights.

Jazzy

Forum Admin
the meal deal is designed for a group of four
Since she was a child or adult short of meeting the group of four required, she did not qualify.

R

Rinko

Typically family deals are two adults, two children. That is common. She did not qualify, so she was required to pay extra.

Worldwide

It is clear hid the rules apply, the fact she is s single mom has nothing to do with it. She could have been married and her husband at work for all the staff knew.
There needs to be four people, she had three, she doesn't qualify.

Top Bottom