CHL, KHL etc.

Kaunisto

Well, it was to be expected. 13 bronzes in 20 tournaments - I'm pretty sure we have the record that nobody else has finished to same place as many times.

Kaunisto

Men's Olympic ice hockey qualifying was few days ago and besides Canada, Russia, Finland, Sweden, Czech, USA, Germany and Switzerland (who got straight in with ranking or whatever) and host China, the final Olympic teams will be Slovakia, Latvia (who dropped France in decisive game) and Denmark (who beat Norway).

Kaunisto

New president of international ice hockey federation Luc Tardif has opened up with a dramatic suggestion: that China should not be allowed to participate (men's) Olympic ice hockey despite being the host country, due their low ranking.

I get the logic that, as he put it, it's not in anybody's interest to have 15-0 games. And it would give the teams in same group (USA, Canada and Germany) kind of unfair advantage.
But I still think Olympic host must have right to compete and China has for years put a great effort in developing their hockey.

Meanwhile, as I've said before, women's ice hockey shouldn't be an Olympic sport. And if it must be, it certainly shouldn't be played with a tournament system where 5 of 10 competing teams are given quarterfinal place and other 5 have to play for the remaining 3.
Qualifying to participate is one thing, but the day Olympics start everyone should be on the same line, needing to win same amount of games to get each medal.

Kaunisto

CHL group phase is over and left are 16 playoff teams:
  • all 5 Swedish teams are still in
  • all 3 teams of Austrian international league (one of them Italian)
  • 2 teams from Finland, Germany and Switzerland
  • 1 Czech and the only French team
The Austrians(/Italian) and the French had considerable (unfair) advantage due scheduling arrangements related to Olympic qualifying.

Jazzy

Forum Admin
Nice to see 2 teams from Finland headed for the finals and good luck to them!

Kaunisto

2 out of 4 is average. We really could've used better, at the moment it looks like Finland will fall 5th in league ranking - due the unfair Austrian advantage! - and that means next season we'll only get 3 teams to CHL.
But if Lukko and my personal favorite Tappara do well enough in playoffs, they can still save the 4th spot for us.

Kaunisto

CHL playoffs:

HC Fribourg-Gottéron (Switzerland) - EHC Red Bull München (Germany)
Lukko (Finland) - HC Bolzano (Italy/Austrian league)

Tappara (Finland) - Växjö Lakers (Sweden)
Red Bull Salzburg (Austria) - Dragons de Rouen (France)

Rögle BK (Sweden) - ZSC Lions (Switzerland)
HC Sparta Praha (Czech) - Skellefteå AIK (Sweden)

Frölunda HC (Sweden) - Adler Mannheim (Germany)
EC KAC (Austria) - Leksands IF (Sweden)

Not bad for Finns, Lukko got very lucky for first round and if Tappara can survive Växjö, they'll have easier quarterfinal.

Top Bottom