Children should not get an allowance for chores

Jazzy

Forum Admin
Some experts think parents should not link the allowance money to household chores. Children should be expected to help out around the house and in the yard because they are members of the family, not because they are paid.
---------------------
Do you agree or disagree and why?

Kaunisto

So, what's the option? Allowance is paid whether or not they do chores? Or no allowance at all?

They shouldn't be expected to do chores "because they're members of the family", they should do them because it's good for them to learn to do these things. Sooner or later in my life it'll become a problem that I haven't...

Jazzy

Forum Admin
I agree with the OP statement. As a child, I didn't get any allowance. I did chores because I wanted to help my dad and I wanted to learn how to do things around the house.

For money, I would go and work to earn it. I did a newspaper route, shoveled driveways & walkways in the winter for people, did babysitting, and would feed pets when people went away. If you put your mind to it, there's always a way to make your own money.

Kaunisto

I did chores because I wanted to help my dad and I wanted to learn how to do things around the house.
In that case there's no issue, but what about all the children who don't want?

I had a small allowance, less than most kids - but that didn't really matter either way, because I rarely used any money. Instead of buying something myself or asking money, I'd ask my parents to get it; if they did, great, if they didn't, I can live without it. ("I can live without it" is very much one of my guiding life philosophies.)

Jazzy

Forum Admin
In that case there's no issue, but what about all the children who don't want?
The parent/parents make a list of chores the child/children are expected to do and when they are to do it. If they refuse, then start taking their privileges away. Sooner or later, they will get their chores completed.

Kaunisto

1. wouldn't work with me, but I'm a special individual
More importantly 2. what's the difference between "privileges" and an allowance?

Jazzy

Forum Admin
what's the difference between "privileges" and an allowance?
Privileges can include long-term rewards (such as getting a computer or cell phone), as well as short-term rewards (such as a special treat after dinner or going to the movies with friends). Privileges must be earned (not bought through giving them an allowance as a reward). The moment children notice they don’t have to work for a privilege, they will feel entitled to it.

Kaunisto

I still don't see a great difference in blackmailing them to do chores with exactly defined allowance or less specific privileges.

I'd need to know better that expert comment because we're reading that very differently.
Some experts think parents should not link the allowance money to household chores. Children should be expected to help out around the house and in the yard because they are members of the family, not because they are paid.
You're looking at the "should be expected", seeing that to say they shouldn't be given money at all.
I'm looking at the "should not link" and interpreting it that they mean it's bad for children to blackmail them into doing chores and as I said, it's almost same whether you do it with allowance or other privileges.

DrLeftover

"I'm different. Let this not upset you" Paracelsus
I disagree with the giving of an allowance to a child as an entitlement that they get every week just for being there.

Kaunisto

(You know, in Finland government does give the family money for the child being there, so...)

Tbh I don't feel entitlement is as negative thing as generally presented. It's important for people to understand their value and rights.

But to give a better argument for allowance, consider the option. When the kid doesn't have his own money in use, he'll instead have to ask for everything he wants from parents, candy, toys, clothes, whatever. And he wont learn to use and understand money, to budget for things.
Give kids less, tell them to work? Maybe if everyone did so, but if everyone did what they're supposed to, communism would work. All the kid sees is you being an a**hole compared to "everyone else's" parents who treat their children better and more reasonably.

TechWiz18

He's a wizard :O
Our plan for chores currently is that there will be a lot of regular chores around the house that we will expect the children to do and not get paid for. However we do anticipate having special off the cuff chores that the kids can do for money while still having to do the other items.

In doing so we want to teach our children the value of the almighty dollar and budgets.

factoverstigma

i think its up to the parent. i got an allowance sometimes, sometimes not. an allowance is just a means of rewarding the child for doing work you deem necessary. an allowance can also be screen time (video games/tv), personal craft time, friend time, ice cream treats, so on and so forth. whatever the parent thinks is reasonable for their child should be up to them

Thomasss

I did not get an allowance when I was growing up; as soon as I turned 15 I got a job with my local 4-H leader cleaning out horse stalls and doing other "chores" around the ranch. Also need I mention I am allergic to hay and most other things that were on that ranch....worked there for almost 2 years.

I took a break when we moved out of the area to focus on my schooling, and once I turned 18, I got a job and got everything I wanted myself. There was no need for an allowance, my parent bought what I needed and sometimes stuff I wanted if I could prove that I "needed" it or if I could go in half. I worked hard for what I wanted, not just doing daily chores around the house. I don't get an allowance now for doing the dishes. In my profession I interview many people on a normal basis; and one thing I can tell you, those who were taught to work for what they want become one of the best employee's.

Ash

I never got an allowance for chores but then again, my parents didn't expect me to do too much in terms of chores. Maybe some simple things like helping to clear up etc. but nothing major. I guess it all depends on the parents. I don't see anything wrong with giving them an allowance.

Top Bottom