Bullying in schools

Snog

No, wrong buddy. Well, you can ignore a small amount of it - but mark my word - if you were insulted to a large degree - all the time. you couldn't take it!
Believe me, I got my share of verbal bullying when I was a kid. All I did was consider the source and walked away. Nobody was harmed by me for verbal bullying.

As an adult, there are other ways to deal with verbal abuse that are legal and not violent. And ignoring it is still the best answer.

J

jy55

Believe me, I got my share of verbal bullying when I was a kid. All I did was consider the source and walked away. Nobody was harmed by me for verbal bullying.

As an adult, there are other ways to deal with verbal abuse that are legal and not violent. And ignoring it is still the best answer.
The vast majority of people probably can't. I mean hat's off to you - if you can - but.. it can be expected most cannot take it.

Well, again, teachers cannot tolerate disrespect. Should they? Why would it be different for students? I mean, if the students can't take mean words, paper-wads, spitting - and that lowers their grades, emotionally damages them - then shouldn't something be done about it?

Snog

The vast majority of people probably can't. I mean hat's off to you - if you can - but.. it can be expected most cannot take it.

Well, again, teachers cannot tolerate disrespect. Should they? Why would it be different for students? I mean, if the students can't take mean words, paper-wads, spitting - and that lowers their grades, emotionally damages them - then shouldn't something be done about it?
Paper-wads and spitting, etc. are taking it to a whole different level and that should be dealt with by administration.

"Mean words" are something that can be ignored or dealt with in a non-violent way. For instance if someone were to call me a "XXX lover" I would most likely reply with something like "You're absolutely right. Thank you for pointing that out" and continue on my way. That kind of response will usually catch them off guard and they won't know what to say. Do it often enough, and they would eventually give up knowing it doesn't bother you.

In the case of my "Pinky" example, if it were me I probably would reply something like "Yep and next week my hair will be purple!". And by gosh, I would have purple hair the next week.

In other words, be yourself and don't give a damn about what other people say.

Cordante

Jazzy's Barista
Got bullied myself both verbal and physicaly from 1st grade til 10th grade every single day. Last day in 10th grade they sourrounded me 5 of them on a field trip and started to punch me in my stomach all five, i got enough and punched the leader of them on the face then after that they never touched me again.

Later on at party's the leader has commed to me and tried to be my friend. Bullying is hard to get rid of and often gets worse if you tell adults. I found the best solution for me was "enough is enough" and just take the situation in my own hands.

J

jy55

Paper-wads and spitting, etc. are taking it to a whole different level and that should be dealt with by administration.

"Mean words" are something that can be ignored or dealt with in a non-violent way. For instance if someone were to call me a "XXX lover" I would most likely reply with something like "You're absolutely right. Thank you for pointing that out" and continue on my way. That kind of response will usually catch them off guard and they won't know what to say. Do it often enough, and they would eventually give up knowing it doesn't bother you.

In the case of my "Pinky" example, if it were me I probably would reply something like "Yep and next week my hair will be purple!". And by gosh, I would have purple hair the next week.

In other words, be yourself and don't give a damn about what other people say.
I admire the attitude - but basically a person is being picked on cause they're weak - with the "taboo breaking" they did as just an excuse.

I seriously doubt if the comebacks you mentioned would work - cause they just think you're weak. Probably they would just mock your voice, repeating what you say - "Next week my hair will be purple." - or go "blah blah blah".

Howard

Fighting never stopped the bullying I endured in middle school. I simply had the image of being a baby - and my threats of violence (and violence) only increased the problem - cause I guess they thought it was a joke.
Some kids just grow to love violence. Kids are very capable of becoming shitty people themselves no matter how good of people their parents are.

J

jy55

Some kids just grow to love violence. Kids are very capable of becoming shitty people themselves no matter how good of people their parents are.
The probability is that the good parents take no notice of the kids. For instance, there were these brats (10-12) at this gym I went to - who seemingly had normal parents. They say stuff like "He's trying to be a man - LOL" - sitting on their butt - like Beevis and Butthead - while everyone was working out.

Top Bottom