Bullying in schools

Snog

Probably not. Bullying has gone on since there have been schools.

To me, it's a part of growing up and a part of social interaction. Not all social interaction is good, and it's a learning experience about personalities to avoid. That learning experience never stops, even as adults.

Now if violence is a part of the bullying, that should be stopped and punished. But, I question what the end result would be when that person becomes an adult. Would it result in a less or more violent person?

J

jy55

Bullying can't be stopped - but rest assured it will cause students to snap (do shootings) - so if bullying isn't controlled, you will get more school shootings on average.

Now if violence is a part of the bullying, that should be stopped and punished. But, I question what the end result would be when that person becomes an adult. Would it result in a less or more violent person?
Mocking is pretty irritating. Like if you say something in class - and people repeat you mockingly. People can only handle so much of that disrespect. Bottom line, unless it's kidding around - as with an in-group - it's some serious bullying.

Mocking is enough to make people snap in a school.

Do some people deserve bullying?

Some kids have morphed into super-brats - for reasons that are understandable or maybe not. If someone bullies them - they just had it coming.

Howard

Bullying isn't just limited to schools.

There are bullies at work too. It's just one of those deals where you just have to get over it and move on.

J

jy55

Bullying isn't just limited to schools.

There are bullies at work too. It's just one of those deals where you just have to get over it and move on.
I ended up punching one in the head (off-hours) - and lost my job! He was just incredibly obnoxious with comments all the time - and my job wasn't going well anyway.

Snog

Bullying can't be stopped - but rest assured it will cause students to snap (do shootings) - so if bullying isn't controlled, you will get more school shootings on average.
This goes back to another thread. What is mentally wrong with the person doing the shooting?

Kids have been bullied for ages and until the mid 90's most of the school shootings were either gang related or some other such thing. Shootings because of being bullied were pretty much rare before then. Today they seem to be common. What changed?

Howard

I ended up punching one in the head (off-hours) - and lost my job! He was just incredibly obnoxious with comments all the time - and my job wasn't going well anyway.
Yeah. I was being aggravated in school by this really dumb kid who was 17 years old. So I got him in the hallway and started punching him in the face. I was 18 years old and a senior high school. So I got arrested for assaulting him. Even though he lost the fight fair and square. He pressed charges and the school pressed charges because it was violence on school grounds. So I got expelled. Than after the law was done with me. I came out with a misdemeanor on my record.

J

jy55

Yeah. I was being aggravated in school by this really dumb kid who was 17 years old. So I got him in the hallway and started punching him in the face. I was 18 years old and a senior high school. So I got arrested for assaulting him. Even though he lost the fight fair and square. He pressed charges and the school pressed charges because it was violence on school grounds. So I got expelled. Than after the law was done with me. I came out with a misdemeanor on my record.
I can't blame you. But what's funny is the person doing and others will act like you're some freak for doing it.

Snog

Answering verbal abuse with a physical attack isn't what most people would call normal. ;)

Snog

I'm guessing 99 percent of bullying is verbal abuse.

The victims are not putting up with it no more - and video games are making them bolder maybe.
You're probably right.

But, think about it. A guy goes to school with pink hair one day. He gets ribbed about it and people start calling him "Pinky". That name will stick with him forever. Would that be considered bullying? Who's fault is that?

Again, it boils down to verbal abuse does not warrant a physical attack.

J

jy55

But, think about it. A guy goes to school with pink hair one day. He gets ribbed about it and people start calling him "Pinky". That name will stick with him forever. Would that be considered bullying? Who's fault is that?
I am still harassed for going to teach English in Asia (Something I did in the 2000s) - called a "racial slur goes here" lover.

Well, the guy with the pink doesn't think he did anything wrong and he didn't. So I guess it's about a clash of cultures or something.

Again, it boils down to verbal abuse does not warrant a physical attack.
It is if it's extremely obnoxious and from an out-group (not buddies kidding around).

Jazzy

Forum Admin
I'm guessing 99 percent of bullying is verbal abuse.
Could very well be but I endured both verbal and physical bullying.

It was the physical that ended up with me doing this:

I confronted my bully in high school. She and two of her 'thug' friends corned me in the girls restroom. The bully (Crystal) kept shoving me while her 'thug' friends were laughing. I told Crystal to get her hands off me. She said 'make me'. I finally snapped and punched her in the face. She hit her head on the sink as she dropped to the floor. Her 'thug' friends ran out of the restroom. I went to the school Nurse and told her Crystal was lying on the floor in the girls restroom and she needed to go check on her.

I then went and reported myself to the Principal. Crystal and her 'thug' friends were called in and asked what happened. They all said the she slipped in the girls restroom and hit her head. I wasn't about to say anymore.

Not proud of what I did but it did stop the bullying. Never have hit another person after that.

J

jy55

Could very well be but I endured both verbal and physical bullying.

It was the physical that ended up with me doing this:

I confronted my bully in high school. She and two of her 'thug' friends corned me in the girls restroom. The bully (Crystal) kept shoving me while her 'thug' friends were laughing. I told Crystal to get her hands off me. She said 'make me'. I finally snapped and punched her in the face. She hit her head on the sink as she dropped to the floor. Her 'thug' friends ran out of the restroom. I went to the school Nurse and told her Crystal was lying on the floor in the girls restroom and she needed to go check on her.

I then went and reported myself to the Principal. Crystal and her 'thug' friends were called in and asked what happened. They all said the she slipped in the girls restroom and hit her head. I wasn't about to say anymore.

Not proud of what I did but it did stop the bullying. Never have hit another person after that.
Fighting never stopped the bullying I endured in middle school. I simply had the image of being a baby - and my threats of violence (and violence) only increased the problem - cause I guess they thought it was a joke.

Snog

Fighting never stopped the bullying I endured in middle school. I simply had the image of being a baby - and my threats of violence (and violence) only increased the problem - cause I guess they thought it was a joke.
In my experience, reacting to violence with violence usually stops the bullying.

Reacting to verbal abuse with violence only makes things worse. And it's best to just ignore the verbal abuse.

But I don't condone violence in either case. In the case of violence for violence, both parties are at fault.

Jazzy

Forum Admin
Why make a threat that you're not going to do? Threats without action are simply empty words.

J

jy55

Reacting to verbal abuse with violence only makes things worse. And it's best to just ignore the verbal abuse.
You can't ignore verbal abuse from an out-group (kidding around with buddies is different). It's impossible to ignore and words hurt. And especially - they make you look like a fool (kitty-kat word). Well, I mean teachers don't tolerate disrespect - why should students?

Snog

You can't ignore verbal abuse from an out-group (kidding around with buddies is different). It's impossible to ignore and words hurt. And especially - they make you look like a fool (kitty-kat word). Well, I mean teachers don't tolerate disrespect - why should students?
You absolutely can ignore it. It's a personal choice. Walk away and ignore it no matter who it's coming from.

J

jy55

You absolutely can ignore it. It's a personal choice. Walk away and ignore it no matter who it's coming from.
No, wrong buddy. Well, you can ignore a small amount of it - but mark my word - if you were insulted to a large degree - all the time. you couldn't take it!

Top Bottom