Branson vs Bezos

Angel

No Drama Zone!
I thought Bezos was better. For me, it was more of a visual thing. Branson's looked like an airplane... so in my mind, he was going up higher than an airplane which we see all the time. Were as Bezos' was like a rocket. It made me think more of space and the type of ships they use to go into space. Bezos' just seemed more exciting.

Vince284

The jury is still out for me as to which one was better. I suppose I had not been following close enough and expected more. Bezos' felt more dangerous so it was more exciting. I'm not sure how far ether one is from attaining orbital attitude.

Snog

Neither one thrilled me. Branson went to the edge of the karman line (328,000 feet) and Bezos went just above it.

I'm not sure how far ether one is from attaining orbital attitude.
Bezos was closer at around 351,000 feet. Minimum orbit altitude is around 525,000 feet.

Branson went to about 282,000 feet.

Vince284

Both will need some stage two booster to get them to orbit, I wonder how far away technically they are from their second stage.

Snog

Both will need some stage two booster to get them to orbit, I wonder how far away technically they are from their second stage.
Blue Origin's New Shepard (the one Bezos was on) is a pathfinder for New Glen which will have a second stage for orbital purposes. Last I heard they were beginning construction of New Glen. However New Shepard will never go orbital and will be used for commercial flights to carry paying passengers to space.

Branson's plane will be used for the same purpose, commercial flights. But Virgin Galactic has already launched satellites with a rocket (Tubular Bells 1) launched from a 747.

Vince284

@Snog sounds cool. I'll start keeping up with it more. At first it sounded like stunts for rich people.

Snog

At first it sounded like stunts for rich people.
It is. Your average person won't be able to afford a flight. Most bookings are from millionaires, actors and music performers.

DrLeftover

"I'm different. Let this not upset you" Paracelsus
There are easier and cheaper ways to attempt to kill yourself. However, none of those may be quite so spectacular.

Top Bottom