• If your user name appeared to be a real first and last name (fictitious or not), your user name has been changed to just your first name. As of May 1, 2018 no full real names are allowed as user names.

Black Professor does a 3000 hour study on police shootings showing cops do not shoot blacks more

TRUE LIBERTY

than white people.
This study was done from multiple cities across the U.S including Dallas.

Police officers are more likely to ...
with blacks than with whites
in similar situations
use hands 2,165for every 10,000 stops
in New York City 1,845for every 10,000 stops
in New York City 17% more likely
push into wall 623 529 18%
use handcuffs* 310 266 16%
draw weapons 155 129 19%
push to ground 136 114 18%
point weapon 54 43 24%
use pepper spray or baton 5 4 25%
* Handcuffs exclude arrests. Counts represent at least that level of force, based on stop-and-frisk data from 2003 to 2013. Similar situations account for gender, age, police precinct, the reason for the stop, whether the stop was indoors or outdoors, the time of day, whether the stop took place in a high-crime area or during a high-crime time, whether the officer was in uniform, the type of identification provided, and whether others were stopped at the same time.
A new study confirms that black men and women are treated differently in the hands of law enforcement. They are more likely to be touched, handcuffed, pushed to the ground or pepper-sprayed by a police officer, even after accounting for how, where and when they encounter the police.

But when it comes to the most lethal form of force — police shootings — the study finds no racial bias.

“It is the most surprising result of my career,” said Roland G. Fryer Jr., the author of the study and a professor of economics at Harvard. The study examined more than 1,000 shootings in 10 major police departments, in Texas, Florida and California.

The result contradicts the mental image of police shootings that many Americans hold in the wake of the killings (some captured on video) of Michael Brown in Ferguson, Mo.; Laquan McDonald in Chicago; Tamir Rice in Cleveland; Walter Scott in South Carolina; Samuel DuBose in Cincinnati; Alton Sterling in Baton Rouge, La.; and Philando Castile in Minnesota.

The study did not say whether the most egregious examples — the kind of killings at the heart of the nation’s debate on police shootings — are free of racial bias. Instead, it examined a much larger pool of shootings, including nonfatal ones. It focused on what happens when police encounters occur, not how often they happen. (There’s a disproportionate number of tense interactions among blacks and the police when shootings could occur, and thus a disproportionate outcome for blacks.) Racial differences in how often police-civilian interactions occur have been shown to reflect greater structural problems in society.

Official statistics on police shootings are poor. James Comey, the F.B.I. director, has called the lack of data “embarrassing and ridiculous.” Even when data exists, the conditions under which officers decide to fire their weapons are deeply nuanced and complex.

Mr. Fryer is the youngest African-American to receive tenure at Harvard and the first one to receive a John Bates Clark medal, a prize given to the most promising American economist under 40. He is not afraid of controversial questions. In previous work, he has paid students to read books; considered the possibility of genetic differences in intelligence; and shown that high-achieving black and Hispanic students have fewer friends.

Photo
11up-SUB-FORCE-master675.jpg
Roland G. Fryer Jr., a professor of economics at Harvard. CreditErik Jacobs for The New York Times
Mr. Fryer said his anger after the deaths of Michael Brown and Freddie Gray and others drove him to study the issue. “You know, protesting is not my thing,” he said. “But data is my thing. So I decided that I was going to collect a bunch of data and try to understand what really is going on when it comes to racial differences in police use of force.”

Continue reading the main story

RECENT COMMENTS
Victor

4 minutes ago
All of these departs from racial profile, stop and frisk and brown people tax that is the rule and general accepted in this country even for...

Mark Kessinger
4 minutes ago
The study assumes that the "police narratives," the coding of which forms the basis for the study, are themselves perfectly objective,...

EBurgett
4 minutes ago
I lived in the US for many years and was never stopped by police, because I am a white and well-dressed man. Yet, the few black colleagues I...

He and a group of student researchers spent about 3,000 hours assembling detailed data from police reports in Houston; Austin, Tex.; Dallas; Los Angeles; Orlando, Fla.; Jacksonville, Fla.; and four other counties in Florida.

They examined 1,332 shootings between 2000 and 2015, systematically coding police narratives to answer questions such as: How old was the suspect? How many police officers were at the scene? Were they mostly white? Was the officer at the scene for a robbery, violent activity, a traffic stop or something else? Was it nighttime? Did the officer shoot after being attacked or before a possible attack? One goal was to figure out whether police officers were quicker to fire at black suspects.
READ THE REST HERE
http://www.nytimes.com/2016/07/12/upshot/surprising-new-evidence-shows-bias-in-police-use-of-force-but-not-in-shootings.html

Worldwide

I was looking at some statistics on this the other day when it was making news again and that based on what I saw is actually correct
However what is also statistically true is the number of killings of citizens in the US vs other counties is way way higher.
In 2015 there were more people killed by the police in the USA than in the previous 24 years total in the UK.
That is just a crazy amount

TRUE LIBERTY

I was looking at some statistics on this the other day when it was making news again and that based on what I saw is actually correct
However what is also statistically true is the number of killings of citizens in the US vs other counties is way way higher.
In 2015 there were more people killed by the police in the USA than in the previous 24 years total in the UK.
We also have 300 million people and the U.K. has 80 million? We also have more rights and freedoms and that comes at a cost which I would not change even at the cost of lives.

Webster

The facts are one thing, but the perception at present, @Worldwide , is that black people are being gunned down at a rate that in most any other country would almost be considered genocidal...plus, given the history of slavery in this country and its' connections - real or tenuous - to modern American policing and you have a nice, ugly toxic mix to deal with.

Worldwide

We also have 300 million people and the U.K. has 80 million? We also have more rights and freedoms and that comes at a cost which I would not change even at the cost of lives.
You have more rights and freedoms than in the UK? Lol
Like what for example? (Other than the right for police to shoot people lol)

Worldwide

You have squat for rights on defending yourself. You have squat for rights in using defensive weapons. Hell you can even get in trouble for defending yourself if you are attacked and fight back.
Oh ...
So it is your guns that makes you free.. I see and how is that working out for you these days?

Kaunisto

One thing I wonder about this otherwise credible study is that all the data used seems to be taken from major cities (except the "four other counties in Florida"?)
I don't know how accurately this represent amounts of shooting in various parts of US, but one would imagine racial prejudice would be strongest in small towns and low population areas.

TRUE LIBERTY

One thing I wonder about this otherwise credible study is that all the data used seems to be taken from major cities (except the "four other counties in Florida"?)
I don't know how accurately this represent amounts of shooting in various parts of US, but one would imagine racial prejudice would be strongest in small towns and low population areas.
Orlando has very large counties in the millions.

TRUE LIBERTY

Oh ...
So it is your guns that makes you free.. I see and how is that working out for you these days?
And it is not just guns but the simple fact we can defend ourselves with other means when you cannot. If a woman uses any other means than a rape alarm to defend herself in your country she is breaking the law.

And right now try and tweet something that others would feel is negative about immigrants or Islam and wait and see how long before police are at your door. Your freedom of speech rights or pathetic.

Top Bottom