BBC: "The Indian Dalit man killed for eating in front of upper-caste men"

DrLeftover

"Today: Alchemy. Tomorrow: the World!"
(quoted)
20 May
A helpless anger pervades the Dalit community in the remote Indian village of Kot.

Last month, a group of upper-caste men allegedly beat up a 21-year-old Dalit resident, named Jitendra, so badly that he died nine days later.

His alleged crime: he sat on a chair and ate in their presence at a wedding.

Not even one of the hundreds of guests who attended the wedding celebration - also of a young Dalit man - will go on record to describe what happened to Jitendra on 26 April.

Afraid of a backlash, they will only admit to being at a large ground where the wedding feast was being held.

Only the police have publicly said what happened.

The wedding food had been cooked by upper-caste residents because many people in remote regions don't touch any food prepared by Dalits, who are the bottom of the rigid Hindu caste hierarchy.

"The scuffle happened when food was being served. The controversy erupted over who was sitting on the chair," police officer Ashok Kumar said.
(end quote)
MORE:

Jazzy

Forum Admin
Maybe it's an upper class thing, but it is polite to ask "Is anyone sitting here?" before taking a seat. :unsure:

psalms91

True but I think this is a case of discrimination, I thought India had done away with the caste system

Webster

True but I think this is a case of discrimination, I thought India had done away with the caste system
"Officially" they have, Psalms, but in practice, not so much; just look at how the Hindu majority treats the Christian, Muslim and Sikh minorities w/in India, for instance...

Webster

*reads the article in the OP* The Indian authorities should remind those who killed the Dalit of the words of British India administrator Charles James Napier, who when confronted with demands to allow the Hindu custom of sati (widow burning), said the following,
Be it so. This burning of widows is your custom; prepare the funeral pile. But my nation has also a custom. When men burn women alive we hang them, and confiscate all their property. My carpenters shall therefore erect gibbets on which to hang all concerned when the widow is consumed. Let us all act according to national customs.
The modern equivalent would be for the Indian authorities to tell these upper-class twits that they're free to commit this awful act....but once done, they will be tried, convicted and hanged for their crimes.

Top Bottom