• If your user name appeared to be a real first and last name (fictitious or not), your user name has been changed to just your first name. As of May 1, 2018 no full real names are allowed as user names.

Arrogant drink driver killed friend shortly after taking his test

Jazzy

Forum Admin
Article Source
A new driver has been jailed for three years after he killed his friend while drunk soon after passing his driving test.

Samuel Jenkins, 22, crashed into a bridge killing Haramardeep Singh Ghuman, 23, in Caerphilly, south Wales.

He is believed to have hit the structure at more than 70 mph after losing control while one and a half times the limit.

Judge Paul Thomas told him: ‘It ought to be blindingly obvious that driving at high speed while affected by alcohol kills people.

‘I say it’s obvious but young people like you don’t seem to realise it.

You arrogantly believed you had some ability that allowed you to drive drunk without the same risks applying to you.’

He added: ‘You have to live with the knowledge that your crass stupidity, your arrogant overconfidence, killed your close friend.’

Passerby Owyn Fenwick tried to help at the scene but could find no pulse following the 4am crash last September.

Jenkins was jailed for three years and given a six and a half year driving ban.
Do you think 3 years for killing someone is enough?

APS

Unarmed
3 years,no it's not enough.
The wrong person died to be honest.

Worldwide

Yes it is enough, he didn't intentionally kill him and his friend has to take some responsibility for knowingly get into the car with a drunk driver, I am sure he wasn't forced to get in the car.

Bluezone777

I think the fact this is an act of stupidity and not an act of maliciousness needs to be taken into consideration. I would save the harsh sentences for malicious acts as while this is quite tragic, the drunk driver was not looking to kill anyone and should be given a punishment for carelessness not heartlessness.

Beside no punishment can come close to living with a guilty conscience. That is a torment that no man can escape from nor can it be ended by any judge or government official.

Top Bottom