Apple tells mourning father he needs a court order

Jazzy

Forum Admin
Article Source
A mourning father has been told by Apple he must seek a court order to obtain his murdered son’s photos from his Macbook.

Colin Hehir, from Warwickshire, provided the tech giant with death and probate certificates but was told he must go down the legal route, reports BBC News.

His son, Morgan, was stabbed with a steak knife as he walked through a street in Nuneaton last Halloween.

Colin told the BBC that Apple should help people under these circumstances.

He said: ‘Morgan owns the computer and it’s Morgan’s data. [But] Apple controls the access to Morgan’s data, even though they don’t own his computer or have privilege to his data.’

An Apple spokesman said in the absence of permission for third party access to Morgan’s account, it would be inappropriate for Apple to make that decision.
Thoughts?

D

DaveM

Unfortunately what they are doing is legally right no matter how heartless it might seem.

DrLeftover

"I'm different. Let this not upset you" Paracelsus
And given their history, the company may ignore a court order.

S

Sariki

I see both sides here. If I was a father I would be super pissed off. However, I have worked for Apple and I understand why. Doesn't matter what it's for if you aren't the owner they won't let you into the account.
I had a gentleman come into my store once pretty upset because his wife had just died. He couldn't remember the password to get into her iCloud account and was pretty upset. So we told him to call Apple Support and provide documentation of her passing.
He came back in three days later with the iCloud account unlocked and access to her stuff.
All you have to do is provide what they ask and they will do it.

APS

Unarmed
According to opening post he did that Sarika and still got nowhere.

Top Bottom