• If your user name appeared to be a real first and last name (fictitious or not), your user name has been changed to just your first name. As of May 1, 2018 no full real names are allowed as user names.

american flag burning

+Holy Spirit

how do you feel about american citizens burning the american flag?

also, how do you feel about people from other countries burning the american flag?

Bluezone777

I feel it is within their rights to burn it but it does raise the question of why they are still here when they are so angry with the country as a whole. To me, it is a rather hypocritical statement to make when you are living in the country whose flag you are burning. If the country is that intolerable to you then move somewhere else as no one is asking you to stay and no one asked you to come either for those who moved into the country.

As far as outside the US goes, It becomes less hypocritical because the people burning it are receiving direct benefits from the country whose flag they are burning but it's not totally without hypocrisy as many times the nation in question does receive aid that they benefit form if only indirectly. I'd say if they hate the country enough to burn its flag then they should desire to be cut off from all aid and benefits offered by that country whose flag they are burning. To do otherwise demonstrates that your statement made by the burning of the flag is a hypocritical one that has been stripped of any meaning by your willful hypocrisy.

Bluezone777

I am not sure actually but I feel even if it was then it wouldn't be enforced anyway as someone would just shout bigot and we forget the law even existed to avoid the label even if it is not appropriate to be used in that context.

Webster

how do you feel about american citizens burning the american flag?

also, how do you feel about people from other countries burning the american flag?
While it bothers me to no end to see fellow Americans burn the Stars & Stripes, I'll defend their right to do so...is it vile speech there? No doubt...it is also protected under the 1st Amdt.

As for people in foreign countries doing likewise...well, if we didn't make a hash of practically everything in sight, they might not do so.

Webster

i thought it was against the law to burn the american flag inside the united states...
Under United States v. Eichman, it is perfectly legal to desecrate the Red, White & Blue; as the Court found,
The government's interest in preserving the flag as a symbol did not outweigh the individual right to disparage that symbol through expressive conduct.

Kaunisto

As for burning own country's flag, I think it should be legal. It may express disapproval of current government or it's actions - it should be noted most countries have changed flag (and government system) more often than US (if adding stars doesn't count) - or that the country is becoming something the flag no longer represents.
Of course one could do much worse things to a flag than burn it, but IMO this shouldn't be a legal matter. Feels too much like those laws some countries have about offending monarch.

In other countries... if you have some common citizens or mobs doing, there's not much to do. (Besides, is burning flag any worse than people ranting that your country should be "bombed back to stone age"?) However if a representative of government burns another country's flag... that's to be dealt the way all diplomatic offences.

Lonelylycan

To be truthful or say it's a disgrace to burn any flag..
What's the actual point of this...

R

Rinko

I feel it is within their rights to burn it but it does raise the question of why they are still here when they are so angry with the country as a whole. To me, it is a rather hypocritical statement to make when you are living in the country whose flag you are burning. If the country is that intolerable to you then move somewhere else as no one is asking you to stay and no one asked you to come either for those who moved into the country.

As far as outside the US goes, It becomes less hypocritical because the people burning it are receiving direct benefits from the country whose flag they are burning but it's not totally without hypocrisy as many times the nation in question does receive aid that they benefit form if only indirectly. I'd say if they hate the country enough to burn its flag then they should desire to be cut off from all aid and benefits offered by that country whose flag they are burning. To do otherwise demonstrates that your statement made by the burning of the flag is a hypocritical one that has been stripped of any meaning by your willful hypocrisy.
Maybe they're still there because the government or economy is awful and they barely earn a living wage, let alone enough money to afford to move to another country? You seem to be disillusioned with regards to how much work it takes to just up sticks and get out of dodge.

Do some people really take more offence to the flag being set alight than they do to say, veterans living on the streets because of poor care by their government, or the ill treatment of coloured or transgender people living in a country whose ethos is proclaimed to be 'and justice for all'?

Personally I have little issue with flag burning. If you bought the flag, it's yours. Set it on fire, wipe your backside with it, erotically asphyxiate yourself with it if that's what you're into. It's your property, do as you like. Symbolism be damned.

Webster

Do some people really take more offence to the flag being set alight than they do to say, veterans living on the streets because of poor care by their government, or the ill treatment of coloured or transgender people living in a country whose ethos is proclaimed to be 'and justice for all'?
Its' the symbolism, Rinko....apparently, they forget that the flag is but a symbol; its' what the flag stands for that's important.

Top Bottom