• If your user name appeared to be a real first and last name (fictitious or not), your user name has been changed to just your first name. As of May 1, 2018 no full real names are allowed as user names.

Abortion

Jazzy

Forum Admin
abortion-new-210-210.jpg
Proponents, identifying themselves as pro-choice, contend that choosing abortion is a woman's right that should not be limited by governmental or religious authority, and which outweighs any right claimed for an embryo or fetus. They say that pregnant women will resort to unsafe illegal abortions if there is no legal option.

Opponents, identifying themselves as pro-life, contend that personhood begins at conception, and therefore abortion is the immoral killing of an innocent human being. They say abortion inflicts suffering on the unborn child, and that it is unfair to allow abortion when couples who cannot biologically conceive are waiting to adopt.

Debate Question: Should Abortion Be Legal?

Z
The "her body her choice" mentality is discerning. It is a choice to have sex. It is a choice. If you get pregnant, that was a result of a choice you made. An abortion is a cover-up word for murder. A living human being is forming inside of you. To tear it out limb by limb should be criminal. Unfortunately, we live in a society that believes females have the right to kill their babies if they do not want them.

J

Justbec

What would you say if the woman was raped and got pregnant because or it? Would you force her to have the baby?

Dee

The "her body her choice" mentality is discerning. It is a choice to have sex. It is a choice. If you get pregnant, that was a result of a choice you made. An abortion is a cover-up word for murder. A living human being is forming inside of you. To tear it out limb by limb should be criminal. Unfortunately, we live in a society that believes females have the right to kill their babies if they do not want them.
What about the people who do use protection? Who are on birth control methods (whatever that may be)? Who have a vasectomy and, in the off chance, they end up knocking someone up but still took many precautions to prevent pregnancy from happening but still end up fertilizing an egg? Nothing is 100% fool proof aside from celibacy, which I think is a different debate. But you are indeed telling a woman what she can and cannot do with her body simply because it's your belief and not hers. Would you like me to tell you you cannot drink soda and eat fatty foods because you're becoming too fat and putting a strain on the medical community? Would you like me to tell you you cannot smoke because it's incredibly unhealthy for you and it's hurting other people around you? Why stop at abortion? Why not make illegal everything that could possibly hurt or endanger SOMEONE in the long run? Let me tell you what you cannot do with your body because I think it's immoral or wrong. Let me put my will over you because of what I think is right and what you're doing is wrong. Like to spank your kids? Hell no, not on my watch! Spanking is harmful and does damage to the child's physical being and psyche! You're going to jail AND your kids are being taken away because you're harming them. Let me impose my will on you because of what I think is morally right.

D

Daniel

What would you say if the woman was raped and got pregnant because or it? Would you force her to have the baby?
What about the people who do use protection? Who are on birth control methods (whatever that may be)? Who have a vasectomy and, in the off chance, they end up knocking someone up but still took many precautions to prevent pregnancy from happening but still end up fertilizing an egg? Nothing is 100% fool proof aside from celibacy, which I think is a different debate. But you are indeed telling a woman what she can and cannot do with her body simply because it's your belief and not hers. Would you like me to tell you you cannot drink soda and eat fatty foods because you're becoming too fat and putting a strain on the medical community? Would you like me to tell you you cannot smoke because it's incredibly unhealthy for you and it's hurting other people around you? Why stop at abortion? Why not make illegal everything that could possibly hurt or endanger SOMEONE in the long run? Let me tell you what you cannot do with your body because I think it's immoral or wrong. Let me put my will over you because of what I think is right and what you're doing is wrong. Like to spank your kids? Hell no, not on my watch! Spanking is harmful and does damage to the child's physical being and psyche! You're going to jail AND your kids are being taken away because you're harming them. Let me impose my will on you because of what I think is morally right.
The thing I am going to say about both of these posts is that you can easily put the kid up for adoption if you absolutely do not want the kid and let's also keep in mind the very much increased chance of depression of the woman that has the abortion which has been proven.

I know I am not a woman but I would much rather let the LIVING human being inside of me be born and allowed to live a life via adoption rather than never getting to see the light of day.

Dee

The thing I am going to say about both of these posts is that you can easily put the kid up for adoption if you absolutely do not want the kid and let's also keep in mind the very much increased chance of depression of the woman that has the abortion which has been proven.

I know I am not a woman but I would much rather let the LIVING human being inside of me be born and allowed to live a life via adoption rather than never getting to see the light of day.
You do realize the adoption and foster care process can be incredibly traumatizing and difficult on the child. Not every kid gets adopted. Many times they go into the foster system until they are adopted, and in that case, the foster care system is very abusive and not as controlled as it could be by child services. The system is completely f***ed up and I'd encourage you to actually look into it before you say adoption and foster care is better than aborting cells that didn't actually form into a true human being yet. Also, not many abortions are performed after a certain point because of the fact that at some point a human being is too formed and can survive on its own. Many doctors will not perform the procedure past a certain point.

DrLeftover

"Today: Alchemy. Tomorrow: the World!"
It has always struck me as odd that many of those in favor of abortion are against capital punishment for convicted murderers.

I don't see how one could reconcile those points of view.

Dee

It seems odd to me that those against abortion are also against providing for those children who are put into the system. You want a woman to carry her to term, but you don't care about her circumstances so you'll let the child suffer for her "mistake" if she's financially unstable or has to give it up for adoption or it goes into the foster care system where it might be beaten or raped over the course of its life. Yeah, that's a much better existence. *shrug*

Z
These counter arguments are apples to oranges. There's a big difference between murdering a child in the womb, with a heartbeat, than eating fast food and slowly killing yourself through an unhealthy lifestyle. This is not about forcing morals on anyone. If we cannot come to the consensus that murder is wrong, then we are doomed to begin with.

Science proves abortions do occur at times when the baby has a heartbeat. It's a baby. If you have sexual intercourse, you can get pregnant. Before you engage in sexual intercourse, understand you may get pregnant. It is your body. It is your choice. If you choose to have sexual intercourse you may get pregnant. It's a choice. With your body you have a choice whether do you want to risk getting pregnant or not. In a way I guess you could say I'm pro-choice.

The obligatory rebuttal to this is what about rape. Or what if the mother will die. These are logical and medical reasons to get an abortion. This is my unbiased opinion without religious interference.

From a religious standpoint, obviously I feel even with rape it is still a child that can be adopted. You claim adoption is far worse than being torn out limb by limb but I beg to differ.

I feel abortion should only occur under extreme circumstances where the mother is either raped or medically unable to have a baby

TRUE LIBERTY

It seems odd to me that those against abortion are also against providing for those children who are put into the system. You want a woman to carry her to term, but you don't care about her circumstances so you'll let the child suffer for her "mistake" if she's financially unstable or has to give it up for adoption or it goes into the foster care system where it might be beaten or raped over the course of its life. Yeah, that's a much better existence. *shrug*
As usual you purposely get it wrong. I do not want government funding such things because that is not the job of government. That is the job of the local community and charities to help people in need.

Dee

As usual you purposely get it wrong. I do not want government funding such things because that is not the job of government. That is the job of the local community and charities to help people in need.
And once again you take the haughty, know-it-all, my opinion is right and fact and anyone else is completely and utterly wrong and murderers or accomplices to murder even if you support it but never have it done.

TRUE LIBERTY

And once again you take the haughty, know-it-all, my opinion is right and fact and anyone else is completely and utterly wrong and murderers or accomplices to murder even if you support it but never have it done.
You are murdering a human life it is fact. Do not need to be a know it all.

Dee

When you find me one example of a mother having giving birth to something other than a human child get back to me on that quote of yours.
When did I say it would be anything different? The human DNA has to develop to a point at which it can actually survive outside of the womb. Think before you post, TL, lest you make yourself out to be an ass. Oh wait, you've already done that.

TRUE LIBERTY

When did I say it would be anything different? The human DNA has to develop to a point at which it can actually survive outside of the womb. Think before you post, TL, lest you make yourself out to be an ass. Oh wait, you've already done that.

Great we agree, you are killing a human life. Not a potential human life, a human life.

Dee

You don't come out of the womb a fully-formed human being. You begin as many cells that are not truly human until they develop to a certain point. If those cells were conscious and could feel pain and think and have complex emotions, have a life, have people they love or life or whatever, then we'd be talking about something different. But from what it sounds like, you're acting as though a 9-month-old baby is being sucked out of its mother's womb and beheaded at the gallows.

TRUE LIBERTY

In 6 weeks it has a heart beat and reacts and feels pain. It is a human life and snuffing it out is murder and nothing else.

1. The first heartbeat
Doctors start counting from the gestation period when the mother stops having her menses. Therefore, the heart forms soon after fertilization. From the doctor’s calculation of the gestation period, this happens about four weeks after the mother’s last periods. This is barely a fortnight after fertilization, but the heart is forming. By the fifth week of the gestation period, the heart starts beating and divides into chambers. Six weeks later blood is flowing inside the body, and there is an improved heartbeat rate of 100 to 160 every minute. So you can hear a baby’s heartbeat at six week gestation.

Top Bottom