• If your user name appeared to be a real first and last name (fictitious or not), your user name has been changed to just your first name. As of May 1, 2018 no full real names are allowed as user names.

A Nightmare on Elm Street (2010)

Lee

3.33 star(s) Rating: 3.33/5 3 Votes
Title: A Nightmare on Elm Street

Tagline: Never Sleep Again.

Genre: Horror, Mystery, Thriller

Director: Samuel Bayer

Cast: Rooney Mara, Jackie Earle Haley, Kyle Gallner, Katie Cassidy, Kellan Lutz, Thomas Dekker, Clancy Brown, Connie Britton, Christian Stolte, Lia D. Mortensen, Julianna Damm, Katie Schooping Knight, Hailey Schooping Knight, Leah Uteg, Don Robert Cass

Release: 2010-04-30

Runtime: 95

Plot: The film that brings back horror icon Freddy Krueger as a darker and more sinister character than ever before. While Freddy is on the prowl a group of teenagers being stalked soon learn they all have a common factor making them targets for this twisted killer.

Kaunisto

I don't quite hate it, but I'm not even great fan of the original and this is certainly worse.

McConnaughay

The biggest issue that, I think, everyone will mention about the A Nightmare on Elm Street remake is a lack of Robert Englund in his iconic role as Freddy Krueger. I, myself, would have also liked to see him reprise his role, but I understand that there will come a time when he'll need to be recast for the series to carry on with itself. Jackie Earle Hayley does some with what he is given. The only issue I have with him is the appearance and voice not being exactly what I would have liked. Still, overall, I don't really have that much of an issue with his performance.

My issues with the film are with the cinematography and the lack of innovative contribution to the old narrative. Let's start off with the cinematography – I believe it was too dark and gloomy for the film. It was an interesting approach, but it ended up subtracting from the overall look-and-feel. As for the lack of innovation, unlike, for example, Friday the 13th's remake, which is essentially a retelling that contributes new scenes and characters, A Nightmare on Elm Street's brings a been-there, done-that vibe by replicating classic moments and pasting them into the film.

Elm Street has the best antagonist in horror history, bar-none, for the simple fact of what he is capable of. I am not saying he has achieved the best films or scenes, but I am saying he will always have that type of psychedelic potential. This film does nothing with it, and while there are some story elements I do like, that's what ultimately caused the film to fail. Still, I don't think it was a terrible film, and in-fact, I don't think it's the worst in the series.

Movie information in first post provided by The Movie Database
Top Bottom