2020 Formula 1 World Championship

Kaunisto

It's two weeks to season opening and final tests are done, so some quick predictions for the season.

Not many changes and surprises coming, most teams seem to be doing as well as last year.

Mercedes is on top, perhaps even more clearly than before - depending how useful and legal their steering gimmick turns out.
Red Bull looks steady, Ferrari is slightly more wild card, but it's pretty likely their cars will again be the third to sixth.

McLaren, Renault and Racing Point (which will 2021 become Aston Martin) are likely to continue in middle group. Racing Point looked pretty good in tests.

The renamed AlphaTauri is bit of question mark. Red Bull says they should now be closer of being two equal teams, compared to how Toro Rosso has been the clear second team of the organization. But seems to me both teams will be pretty much as high as before.

Alfa Romeo and Haas aren't looking good, I'll be surprised if either does better than last year.

Judging by the tests, Williams may be the one making biggest improvement, or at least finally climbing up from the bottom.

Mercedes engines, used by Racing Point and Williams beside themselves, may have advantage as those were the teams that caught my attention in tests.

Kaunisto

Free practice 1 should be in less than two hours and I still don't know if they're driving this weekend?
It's a mess, F1 and FIA not saying anything and BBC, Reuters and others grasping to rumors.

Kaunisto

...and now the dominoes are falling: not only Australia but Bahrain and Vietnam have been cancelled, aside China before.
So season is to start in May in Europe.

Kaunisto

Latest plan is to start season july 5th in Austria, with at least Austria and UK hosting two races without audience.

Kaunisto

With no driving happening, the silly season is on early and just got to full speed with Vettel announced to leave Ferrari after this year.

Kaunisto

FIA has approved the current calendar of 8 first races, season starting in two weeks in Austria. To be seen how rest of season forms up, but the series owners are under pressure to get 15 races competed - or they'll have to pay back some TV money.
We might see one or two entirely new tracks: Ferrari's home track Mugello is being pushed for the team's 1000th race (it'd be right after Italian GP in Monza, so the idea is realistic) and there's discussion about Portuguese track of Portimão which only this year was classified as fitting for all classes including F1.

Kaunisto

F2 and F3 will also be raced with all 8 scheduled F1 events, starting this weekend.

Kaunisto

Good to start season with a Finn on pole position, but Mercedes looks just devastating once again. Red Bull can't quite keep up with them and Ferrari appears to have real trouble, falling down to the next bunch of McLaren, Renault and Racing Point.
AlphaTauri, the former Toro Rosso, is the wild card that would seem to be between the middle and bottom groups.
And at the back end, Williams is trying to put up a fight with Haas and Alfa Romeo.

But that's of course just my early guessing, before the first actual race.

Top Bottom