2019 Formula 1 World Championship

South Of Heaven

I normally love F1 but this season i'm really not geting into it at all. I'm kinda bored. Maybe it's not having someone who i'm closely following but i've not managed to sit through a whole race this year.

Nice to see the young Brits being competitive though.

Kaunisto

I'm still hoping Bottas to put up a good fight. And Kimi's doing real well.
But have to admit that it's pretty absurd that 5 first in every 10 races have been from Mercedes, Ferrari & Red Bull.
Still, the teams 4-9 have been interesting to follow and it's nice to see McLaren rising again.

Kaunisto

First driver change of the season is Red Bull dropping Gasly to Toro Rosso and rookie Albon getting a dream opportunity to race in a top team.

Kaunisto

Mercedes secures titles, making record with 6 consecutive constructors' and drivers' championships.
(1999-2005 Ferrari would've done the same without Schumacher's 1999 severe accident , missing that drivers' title.)

Kaunisto

Apparently next season will start with 90% of drivers continuing in same teams, only changes are Ocon replacing Hülkenberg at Renault and Latifi entering series to replace Kubica at Williams.

Toro Rosso will change name to Alpha Tauri.

Kaunisto

Bunch of records and statistics from Brazil GP:

- both Albon and Sainz got their first podium; also career best result for Giovinazzi
- Sainz becomes driver who had most races ever before first podium (101)
- youngest podium trio ever (previous record was from Monza 2008: Vettel-Kovalainen-Kubica)
- Red Bull did again a new pit stop record: 1.82 seconds
- best race for Alfa Romeo since their return and therefore since 80's

Kaunisto

Let's take a quick look at how teams did now that the season's over.

Mercedes: another championship, best year yet for Bottas
Ferrari: despite great start for Leclerc in the team, weaker result than last couple years
Red Bull: overall about as good as last couple years, best year yet for Verstappen; it's hard to tell yet if switching Gasly mid-season to Albon was the right move
McLaren: best of the rest and back from the hole, best result since 2012, including first podium since 2014
Renault: pretty close to same as last year, best yet for Sainz
Toro Rosso: rather unnocticed, TR had an excellent season, 6th place being the same as best ever of the team (2008) - and they weren't far from beating Renault! Nice ending under this title, next year they will be called Alpha Tauri
Racing Point: not a strong first full season for the reboot of Force India
Alfa Romeo: returning to F1 after 1985, they gave the former Sauber small push, doing slightly better than last couple years
Haas: big drop from great 5th of last season, this was worst season yet for Haas
Williams: hitting absolute rock bottom, this was worst season ever (in +40 years!) for Williams, with only one lucky point

It's notable how many drivers had (in final championship position) their best season yet: Bottas, Verstappen, Leclerc, Sainz and Gasly. With Albon, Norris, Giovinazzi and Russell driving their first (full) seasons, plus Hamilton not being able to improve from being champion, that's half of the field being at their best yet.
Bit of a change of generation going on, with Hülkenberg and Kubica leaving now and probably(?) Räikkönen and possibly Vettel too after next year.

Top Bottom