• If your user name appeared to be a real first and last name (fictitious or not), your user name has been changed to just your first name. As of May 1, 2018 no full real names are allowed as user names.

2019 Formula 1 World Championship

Kaunisto

Team formerly known as Sauber is changing name to Alfa Romeo.

Alfa Romeo won first two F1 championships 1950 and 1951 with Farina and Fangio.
Alfa Romeo last competed in F1 1985 (1987 as engine provider).

With Antonio Giovinazzi now, the team continues tradition of having at least one Italian driver every season they've competed in F1 (the other this year of course being Kimi Räikkönen).

Former Force India is currently working under name "Racing Point F1 Team", but that may change before season start halfway March.

Webster

Two thoughts about this year's F1 campaign....

(1) Mercedes is still the team to beat.
(2) Everyone else: come to IndyCar; at least you will have a chance to win a race....just ask Marcus Ericsson, who will drive for Arrow-SPM Racing this year alongside James Hinchcliffe.

Kaunisto

I'm not too happy about Haas copying classic Lotus.

That RB is quite... Darth Maul

Kaunisto

First week of winter tests didn't really reveal much, except that Williams is in severe trouble and likely to continue at the bottom - and Racing Point (or whatever their final name is) may be keeping them company.

Kaunisto

Test are over and... we're none the wiser. Mercedes and Ferrari are still on top and perhaps even more clearly than last year. And as I said, Williams and Racing Point are at the bottom.
But everyone else are wild cards. With Honda engines, Red Bull may not be the #3 team anymore. Renault is pushing hard, Alfa Romeo has resources Sauber hasn't seen since it was BMW and I can't even guess how Haas, McLaren or Toro Rosso turn out this season.

Webster

Mercedes and Ferrari are still on top and perhaps even more clearly than last year.
I go back to my earlier thoughts, Kaunisto...
Two thoughts about this year's F1 campaign....

(1) Mercedes is still the team to beat.
(2) Everyone else: come to IndyCar; at least you will have a chance to win a race....just ask Marcus Ericsson, who will drive for Arrow-SPM Racing this year alongside James Hinchcliffe.

Kaunisto

Somebody unstick the last year topic and put this up instead, please.

Now we've seen the first practices and... difference of Mercedes to next team is bigger than between 8 next (Williams being far behind).
Generally good news for Finland, Vallteri getting a duel with Lewis and Kimi looking better than expected so far.

Kaunisto

That's an awesome start for Finns (even if Kimi's 8th is slightly dimmed by the fact that Leclerc was 7th in last Sauber races).

But I can't help thinking that
1. Mercedes looks frighteningly dominant
2. I thought overtaking was supposed to be easier now - just like last year, and every year before...

Webster

Not an F1 post per se' but I just realized that when IndyCar goes to COTA this weekend for their IndyCar Classic, it'll be the first time since 2006 at Montreal's Circuit Gillies Villeneuve that both top-level open-wheel series have raced at the same venue in a calendar year.

I cannot wait to hear the F1 purists hoot and holler about the comparisons... :rolleyes::rolleyes:

Kaunisto

This season is starting to look bad - on top that is, teams in places 4-9 are having great contest between themselves.
Then again, if this keeps up we'll get to see championship battle between the Mercedes drivers without team orders.

Kaunisto

Never before has any team taken 1-2's in four first races of season; now Mercedes is at five.
Looks like constructors' championship won't be settled in last race...

Meanwhile Red Bull may be actually challenging Ferrari for second place - which is quite surprising, with RB now on Honda engines.

Here's a grim statistic about F1: last time any other team than Mercedes, Ferrari or Red Bull has won a race, it was in season 2013 opening, Räikkönen winning on Lotus.
It's been over six years and hundred races since any team but the top 3 has won.

Webster

Here's a grim statistic about F1: last time any other team than Mercedes, Ferrari or Red Bull has won a race, it was in season 2013 opening, Räikkönen winning on Lotus.
It's been over six years and hundred races since any team but the top 3 has won.
And people wonder why F1 drivers like Felix Rosenqvist and Marcus Ericsson jumped ship to IndyCar this year... *points to the above* ...Not to beat the dead horse again but unless you're driving for one of those three teams, you simply have zero chance of winning bar a freakish event.... *adds deadpan* ....remind us again how F1's "the Pinnacle of Motorsports"?

Kaunisto

Rosenqvist wasn't F1 driver, he was in Formula E (and pretty much everything major but F1)

Webster

Rosenqvist wasn't F1 driver, he was in Formula E (and pretty much everything major but F1)
My mistake there. The principle still remains, though; unless you're driving for either Mercedes, Ferrari or Red Bull you are wasting your time running (especially w/how dominant Mercedes has been of late). I mean, I've lost count of how many European drivers have climbed up the F1 ladder (and this goes to before GP2/F2), either been unable to find a good ride in F1 or a ride period and decided to come to North America.

Yes, Indycar doesn't get the media attention it once did but unlike F1, there's no "best of the rest". Yes, a good team is essential (and FWIW, I'd put any one of Team Penske, Chip Ganassi Racing and/or Andretti Autosport up against any top-shelf F1 team) but as I've seen the past few years, Kaunisto, even the teams at the back have a better than 50-50 chance of winning.

Can you say that about F1? Rarely, if ever.

Kaunisto

It should be noted that this is exceptional, even unprecedented situation in F1 history. Even 80's McLaren or Schumacher's Ferrari didn't have such long domination as Mercedes now. 2012 six teams won races, 2008 five. 2006-2010 there were five consecutive years each with different team winning drivers' championship.
OK, in most years there are about three teams who win races. But much of time those have changed annually, at least slightly.

But on the other hand, consider domination in any sport. Did Usain Bolt make 100 meters any lesser event? When someone keeps winning - I can't help thinking of certain Frenchmen in WRC... - it can get boring at the time, but in retrospect we always remember the legends with admiration.

Webster

It should be noted that this is exceptional, even unprecedented situation in F1 history. Even 80's McLaren or Schumacher's Ferrari didn't have such long domination as Mercedes now. 2012 six teams won races, 2008 five. 2006-2010 there were five consecutive years each with different team winning drivers' championship.
OK, in most years there are about three teams who win races. But much of time those have changed annually, at least slightly.

But on the other hand, consider domination in any sport. Did Usain Bolt make 100 meters any lesser event? When someone keeps winning - I can't help thinking of certain Frenchmen in WRC... - it can get boring at the time, but in retrospect we always remember the legends with admiration.
Oh, don't get me wrong, Kaunisto; its' admirable that Mercedes is doing so well; a team gets the right combination and they can be nigh unstoppable...of course, given F1 rules at present, it can be nigh boring to follow the sport.

Then you're reminded of certain comments made by certain F1 champions....
....and Mercedes' domination of the sport at present really begins to grate.....

Webster

*continues* TL/DR: Two years ago, Lewis Hamilton made a crack about how easy it was for Fernando Alonso to qualify for the Indianapolis 500 (the 101st running as it was; Alonso qualified 5th and had one of the best cars on the grid that day)....today, Alonso and McLaren are struggling to qualify for the 103rd running of the 500.

*deadpans* Maybe someone should ask Lewis his thoughts this year about his fellow F1 champions, huh?

Top Bottom