2016 Olympics

DrLeftover

"Today: Alchemy. Tomorrow: the World!"
With a month to go, it looks like the US has put together a very good team.

However, it don't look so good in Rio.

And this is NOT from those "disgusting haters" at Fox.

1 July 2016
RIO DE JANEIRO — IT’S official: The Olympic Games in Rio are an unnatural disaster.

On June 17, fewer than 50 days before the start of the Games, the state of Rio de Janeiro declared a “state of public calamity.” A financial crisis is preventing the state from honoring its commitments to the Olympic and Paralympic Games, the governor said. That crisis is so severe, he said, it could eventually bring about “a total collapse in public security, health, education, mobility and environmental management.” The authorities are now authorized to ration essential public services and the state is eligible for emergency funds from the federal government.
http://www.nytimes.com/2016/07/03/opinion/sunday/brazils-olympic-catastrophe.html?_r=0

DrLeftover

CNN's headline this morning:

Rio mayor: State doing a 'terrible, horrible job' before Olympics
Rio de Janeiro (CNN)A month before Rio welcomes thousands of visitors for the 2016 Olympic Games, the city's mayor has lashed out at state officials over the policing of violent crime.

"This is the most serious issue in Rio and the state is doing a terrible, horrible job," Eduardo Paes told CNN, during an interview in his downtown office.
"It's completely failing at its work of policing and taking care of people."
His comments come after Rio de Janeiro state, which manages the region's military police force, issued an executive order requesting emergency funds from the federal government in order to pay outstanding bonuses and overtime to police officers.
Rio mayor: State doing 'terrible' job ahead of Olympics - CNN.com

edition.cnn.com/2016/07/04/americas/rio-olympics-mayor-police/index.html

-- --

J

Justbec

Sigh.. I love the Olympics.. I always watch both winter and summer. But WHY they gave Rio the games is beyond me....

DrLeftover

Sigh.. I love the Olympics.. I always watch both winter and summer. But WHY they gave Rio the games is beyond me....

Because the former Administration in Brazil PAID the voting members of the International Olympic Committee sufficiently in cash bribes, hookers, booze, samba lessons, whatever it took, to get the games.

-- --

DrLeftover

EXCLUSIVE - 'Sex sessions for £13 and a THREESOME for just £9': Disappointed prostitutes in Rio launch 'supermarket sale' for Olympic Games after World Cup flop
  • Rio prostitutes offer 'sex sale' as World Cup 'boom' never happened
  • Sex workers in the city's famous Vila Mimosa have dropped their prices
  • Flyer in English invites Olympic athletes to red light area near centre
  • 30 minutes costs 40 reals (£9) - down 48 per cent on 'normal' 75 reals (£17)
  • 'We were all expecting so much from the World Cup, but no one turned up'
  • Long-term sex worker says they are offering deals 'like a supermarket'
Prostitutes in Rio de Janeiro offer 'sex sale' for Olympic Games

--

DrLeftover

CNN:
'Super bacteria' discovered in Rio's waters as Olympics near

Rio de Janeiro (CNN)A group of Brazilian scientists has detected a drug-resistant bacteria growing off some of Rio de Janeiro's most stunning beaches, in research being published a month before the city hosts the 2016 Olympic Games.

According to lead researcher Renata Picao, the "super bacteria" entered the city's waterways when sewage coming from local hospitals got channeled into the bay.
"We have been looking for 'super bacteria' in coastal waters during a one-year period in five beaches," Picao told CNN during a visit to her lab. "We found that the threats occur in coastal waters in a variety of concentrations and that they are strongly associated with pollution."
The samples were collected between 2013 and 2014. The superbug found was carbapenem-resistant Enterobacteriaceae, or CRE.
Rio Olympic Games: 'Super bacteria' discovered in Rio's waters as Olympics near - CNN.com

--

DrLeftover

This observation is from the 2012 London games.

Beginning tomorrow, we'll see if it is still true:

I have been a professional observer of sports at all levels for longer than I want to think about. I've been in the press box at Big 10 games, watched NASCAR for fun and profit from pit road, been to playoffs of more sports than I can count, and so on.

I will say this about NBC's Olympic coverage.

When they are good, they are VERY good. Excellent in fact.

And when they are bad.... they "stink on ice" on par with Congress.

DrLeftover

Teen shooter Ginny Thrasher wins USA's first gold medal of Rio Olympics
RIO DE JANEIRO — American shooter Ginny Thrasher won the first gold medal of the Rio Olympics, pulling off an upset in the women's 10-meter air rifle event Saturday morning.

Thrasher, 19, beat silver medalist Du Li of China in the final round with a total of 208.0, setting an Olympic record in the finals. Du finished with 207.0.

Yi Siling of China took bronze as the first medals in Rio were awarded.
http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/olympics/rio-2016/2016/08/06/teen-shooter-ginny-thrasher-wins-usa-first-gold-medal/88331356/

DrLeftover

Injured Olympic gymnast Samir Ait Said put on stretcher, then dropped
RIO DE JANEIRO — Tragic French gymnast Samir Ait Said suffered further indignity after his devastating leg injury on Saturday – Olympics staffers dropped his stretcher as they were loading him into an ambulance.

A worldwide audience was horrified when Ait Said’s left leg snapped as he landed a vault during the men’s qualifying competition, with the lower half of his shin dangling grotesquely after the bone audibly snapped.

His ordeal took another bad turn follow minutes later when he was removed from the auditorium to be rushed to a Rio hospital, where he remained late Saturday. As staff moved the 26-year-old’s stretcher towards the edge of the ambulance floor, they appeared to lose control, sending it falling heavily to the floor.
http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/2016/08/06/injured-gymnast-put-stretcher-then-dropped/88354478/

The image of him laying on the floor with his leg like that will upset your digestion.

Webster

...is the scoring system in gymnastics to blame for the recent spate of injuries?
(The Guardian) Fabian Hambüchen demanded an overhaul in the gymnastics scoring system after his Germany team-mate Andreas Toba and Frenchman Samir Ait Said provided painful reminders of just how dangerous the sport can be.

Ait Said ended up in hospital with a broken leg that was left dangling from below his knee following a crash landing from the vault. He was wheeled out of the arena on a stretcher shortly after Toba cried out in agony following a fall from a tumbling run on the floor exercise which is suspected to have ruptured his anterior cruciate ligament.

Toba went on to perform on the pommel horse but as he limped off that apparatus with his arms around his team-mates, it was clear that his Games were over.

As far as 2007 horizontal bar world champion Hambüchen was concerned, the accumulative scoring system that replaced the old 10.0 format following a judging scandal at the 2004 Athens Olympics is to blame for the injuries.

“It’s a pity that gymnastics has developed the way it has. Everyone is chasing more and more difficulty, more risk. Everyone wants new records so it’s getting dangerous,” said Hambüchen, one of the few gymnasts in Rio who also competed under the old system.

“That’s really annoying. I don’t like this system in gymnastics. I hope they will change it after Rio.”

The system is made up of two different scores. The D (difficulty) score involves adding up the hardest and specific requirements in a routine, while all gymnasts begin with a 10.0 E (execution) score from which points are deducted for flaws such as bent legs, botched landings and falls. The two scores are then added together for a final score.

It is the pursuit of earning a high D-score that makes gymnasts push the boundaries, often with dire consequences as witnessed on Saturday.

Four years after hurting his right leg at the 2012 London Games, Ait Said was again in agony when a misjudged vault landing left him clutching the back of his left knee as he lay prostrate on the crash mat. It soon became apparent that he would take no further part in the Rio Games after suffering what his team-mates called “a catastrophic injury”. After a delay of several minutes, he was wheeled out on a stretcher and raised one arm to acknowledge the loud ovation he received from the crowd.

“He is in the hospital with a doctor now. We don’t know what happened, except that it was his tibia. We will do more exams to see if it is just the bone,” said France’s team leader Corrine Moustard-Callon.

DrLeftover

(quoted material)
Games organizers, who were already looking to fix the long queues at security checkpoints that marred the first day, also faced new security scares. Portugal's education minister was robbed at knifepoint on Saturday at the Olympic lake. He escaped unharmed and the assailant was arrested, Brazilian authorities said.

More security was also put around the equestrian center after a stray bullet tore through the roof of the press room there on Saturday, an unexplained incident which caused no injuries. The center is near a military complex and a slum.

"This is a worrying situation and is not an incident we can take lightly as the safety of everyone at our venue – athletes, horses, media and spectators – is of prime importance," said International Equestrian Federation president Ingmar De Vos.

Brazilian authorities are still investigating.
(end quote)
http://www.reuters.com/article/us-olympics-rio-rowing-idUSKCN10I0F4

Webster

New York Times: Williams Sisters Knocked Out In Ladies' Doubles

08TENNISweb-master675.jpg
In the first big surprises of the Olympic tennis tournament, Novak Djokovic, the world’s dominant tennis player, and the doubles team of Venus and Serena Williams were upset in the first round.

Djokovic had made the Olympic gold medal in singles one of his big priorities for 2016. He could not make it past the first round, and when it was over, both he and his conqueror, Juan Martín del Potro, were in tears in Rio de Janeiro.

In a raucous atmosphere on center court at the Olympic Tennis Center, Del Potro produced one of the most remarkable performances of his career: upsetting Djokovic, 7-6 (4), 7-6 (2).

The Williamses lost, 6-3, 6-4, to the Czech team of Barbora Strycova and Lucie Safarova.

The defeat was the Williams sisters’ first loss playing together at the Olympics. They won the gold medal in 2000, 2008 and 2012, and Sunday’s surprise defeat came against a team that had never won a match together.

Webster

Washington Post: Muslim American fencer to Donald Trump: ‘I don’t have another home’

_Olympics_Muhammads_Moment_Fencing_Women-e9361.jpg
Ibtihaj Muhammad, the fencer who happens to also be the first American Muslim woman to compete in the Olympics while wearing a hijab, had strong words for Republican presidential candidate Donald Trump about his immigration plans for Muslims.

“I think his words are very dangerous,” Muhammad, who is competing in team sabre competition Monday morning, told CNN last week. “When these types of comments are made, no one thinks about how they really affect people. I’m African American. I don’t have another home to go to. My family was born here. I was born here. I’ve grown up in Jersey. All my family’s from Jersey. It’s like, well, where do we go?”

Muhammad’s comments came as Trump drew heavy criticism for his comments about the Khan family, whose son was killed while protecting his troops from a car bomb in Iraq in 2004. Muhammad has said little about politics since arriving in Rio de Janeiro for the Olympics, offering only a “Who?” when peppered by reporters during a news conference.

“I’m hopeful that, in my efforts to represent our country well as an athlete — that they change the rhetoric around how people think and perceive the Muslim community,” she told CNN.
-Read more: https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/early-lead/wp/2016/08/08/ibtihaj-muhammad-to-donald-trump-i-dont-have-another-home/?tid=sm_fb

Top Bottom