• If your user name appeared to be a real first and last name (fictitious or not), your user name has been changed to just your first name. As of May 1, 2018 no full real names are allowed as user names.

2016 F1 Season Discussion

Jazzy

Forum Admin
Article Source
Mercedes drivers Nico Rosberg and Lewis Hamilton collided on the last lap of the Austrian Grand Prix – handing victory to the British driver.
Hamilton attacked Rosberg on the final lap of the race into turn two and was forced wide by an erratic defensive move by the German, leading to an inevitable collision which damaged Rosberg’s car and handed victory to Hamilton.

It is the incident in a long list of on track collisions between the pair since they became teammates in 2013.

Toto Wolff, the Mercedes team boss, described the incident as ‘brainless’ in a short and tense interview after the race and the crash will surely lead deep discussions with both drivers.

Rosberg finished the race fourth but now faces an immediate investigation into the incident from the stewards who may deem it reckless driving.

Hamilton’s victory at the Spielberg circuit is his third of the season and places him within nine points of Rosberg at the top of the championship standings heading into the British Grand Prix next weekend.
Who was at fault?

Ghoul

Rosberg 100%. Hamilton left him the space, even turned in as late as he could without going off track only for Rosberg to turn late and then not even allow him back onto the track. I think Rosberg's penalty should have been more several like dropping him below Ricciardo or giving him 5 place grid penalty for the next race.

Kaunisto

Rosberg did also get 2 penalty points; 12 within a year means 1 race ban. (Considering how many points have been handed out, we might see one or two of those at end of season or along next.)
And the crash did cost him 2 places/6 points, so I think that was fair enough.

Note that this was third time within five races the Mercedes cars hit each other (costing points).

Kaunisto

Only in end-of-race 1-2 they might be told to keep positions.
As long as Mercedes is this far ahead of Ferrari and RB, not likely even that.

APS

Unarmed
Lewis Hamilton and Nico Rosberg are on a "final warning" that they will be severely punished if they crash again but remain free to race.

Their Mercedes team said they had "strengthened our rules of engagement to include much greater deterrents to contact between our cars".

Boss Toto Wolff said the drivers faced "sporting and financial consequences".

Wolff refused to give details of the potential sanctions but hinted it could include suspensions from races.

Ghoul

Hopefully the new regulations for next year will stop the dominance so team orders won't effect the spectacle.

APS

Unarmed
For about 5 years I used to go to Silverstone for about 4 days leading up to the Grand Prix and then again after the Grand Prix finished but have never been to the race itself.

Kaunisto

I'm not very optimistic I ever will, but then again who knows if in my lifetime there'll eventually be a Finnish GP...

Big news of the day is Kimi continuing at Ferrari 2017 :cool:

DrLeftover

"Today: Alchemy. Tomorrow: the World!"
For some reason I thought there would be news about F1 passing some sort of rule package to encourage on track, green flag, PASSING.

Kaunisto

Not a good day for Finns.
Surprisingly uneventful race, aside the spins and slipping.

There'll be more discussion about radio rules (whether or not they punish Nico).

Ghoul

@Jazzy I think we should make this an official F1 thread as that is the way this is going. Perhaps change the title or split the posts off into a new thread?

Top Bottom